Saturday, November 15, 2014

Seeking the Mind of Barack Obama.

On little evidence, I allow, I posit that this week, during the APEC meeting in Beijing and continuing now at the G20 in Australia we see on view for the first time a "new" Barack Obama. A gestalt shift has occurred in how Obama's sees Russia.

Observing Obama's body language, reading what he has said--Russian "aggression"--I see a man who has been thinking and thinking and thinking about Russia who has decided. Obama has been cold this week, not aloof-cool, cold, there is a look of cold ruthlessness in the president this week--I have never seen this look before in Barack Obama, would have thought he hadn't a ruthless cell in his body but this week that's what I see. He looks like a man who has made his mind up and in a direction he didn't anticipate, that came to him after much anguish.

I remember reading Churchill. I remember reading that after Hitler invaded Poland Churchill wrote that Neville Chamberlain was to give a speech in Birmingham. Churchill wrote that he fully expected Chamberlain would give another appeasing speech in Birmingham and he, Churchill, was ready to pounce like a bulldog. But Chamberlain didn't give an appeasing speech in Birmingham, Churchill was shocked, Chamberlain gave a strong pro-war speech. Over night (I think literally.) Chamberlain had had a gestalt shift.

On little evidence, I allow, that is what I see has occurred in Barack Obama vis-a-vis Russia this week. I, of the 20/400 vision, I--"I could be wrong!"--I call all 'em as I see 'em.