Sunday, June 30, 2019

I felt she found my letters and read each one out loud
I prayed that she would finish but she just kept right on
...
She wrote as if she knew me in all my dark despair
And then she looked right through me as if I wasn't there
And she just kept on writing, writing clear and strong
Penning my pain with her fingers
Writing my life with her words
Killing me softly with her words
Killing me softly with her words
Telling my whole life with her words
Killing me softly with her words.

The following is by my new hero in life, a young woman named Ashley Kay Bach.

I want to tell you about my hometown. 

Included are bits of writing I did on the Northern Cambria in my freshman year, during my first bout of homesickness.

Northern Cambria is a place that builds character, but if you don’t get out of there soon you never will. Most of the buildings are the skeletons of dreams, the names of their owners and purpose still displayed somewhere, and it’s like those poor buildings are tombstones. It’s a town of unwanted people and things, thought my younger self…
...
Once the mines closed in the 1980s nearly everyone left. Those that remained seemed to be trapped there. I have said in the past that the hills encircling Northern Cambria are like the high walls that contain lions, tigers, and bears in zoos. They are fortifications to keep those who live there contained and the rest of the world out.

A great deal of the town’s population is composed of older people. Go to Giant Eagle at three in the afternoon and you are likely to find a convergence of haggard folks and people that perpetuate my grandmother’s statement that Pennsylvania is home to the ugliest people. You can tell a lot about a town from its people and places. Northern Cambria stays true to itself. The people are just like the places: desolate and damaged.

Northern Cambria is a lot like my father, who I used as the subject in an assignment about someone who inspires me by saying he inspires me by showing me what not to do: Northern Cambria shows me everything I do not want to live in. The back roads are lined with empty beer cans and beer bottles. Everyone listens to country. The most popular place in town is Sheetz.

My town has taught me about life. Life is ugly. Life is pain.

Ashley, you write truth and truth is beauty and truth is bliss.