Tuesday, May 28, 2024

"When I was vice president, things were kinda bad during the pandemic."

"My dad was an automobile manager. Detroit put food on our table every night. Oh, not a joke. Not a joke. And when I was vice president, things were kinda bad during the pandemic. And what happened was, Barack said to me, 'Go to Detroit! And help fix it.' Well, [the] poor mayor, he spent more time with me than he ever thought he was gonna have to."

[C]orrections by the White House:

    Huntington Place Convention Center

    Detroit, Michigan

    THE PRESIDENT: I want to thank Reverend Anthony for that introduction.  I tell you what, I measure the significance of an award based on the character and the consequence of those organizations bestowing it.

    And I love Detroit for three reasons.  Number one, my dad was an automobile manager.  Detroit put food on our table every night.  (Applause.)  Oh, not a joke.  Not a joke.

    And when I was vice president, things were kind of bad during the pandemic [recession], and what happened was Barack said to me, "Go to Detroit and help fix it."  Well, poor mayor, he spent more time with me than he ever thought he was going to have to.  (Laughter.)  God love you.