Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mom for Mayor.

The mayor of Bal-tee-more is being criticized for her response to the rioting: too slow, to ask the governor for the National Guard, for instance, and not being prepared; the police admitted last night they were overwhelmed and there was no good reason for that. This was not spontaneous, it was planned in advance, the mayor's office had plenty of notice that the protests were going to start at point A and move to point B. And as I noted last night, "WHERE ARE THE GUNS?" I meant to look up today the rules of engagement for this thing but then I got busy. I didn't see a police officer with a gun drawn once. Didn't see them go on the offensive once. No batons, I think I did read ONE mention of Mace being used but everything else, all the reports, all the photos show the police desperately fending off the attacks with only their shields. There have been no deaths although one person, maybe that police officer, is in critical condition. I am sure that the police must have been under instructions not to use their service weapons. That is a truly desperate situation you put your police officers in if that is the case. Twenty-two were injured. This was a riot, a violent incident! And the police were targeted! The police did not return the favor. They looked like Frazier against Foreman! Like the Pennsylvania 133rd going up Marye's Heights WITH NO AMMOOOOOOO!!! You can't do that to the police.

Come to think of it I didn't see any of the rioters with guns! Read nothing of any gunfire at ALL. WEIRD. Maybe that was the plan? Sort of like the Chinese? Your turn to be tumbleweed this time? I don't think that was the police understanding of the plan. They didn't sign up to be tumbleweed.

I am very thankful there have been no deaths thus far, and that is the most significant measure of "success" in police response to a riot, but it sure isn't the only measure. Twenty-two cops injured. I haven't seen a property loss total but there was a lot of damage. Property is not life and injury is not death...No. You can't have twenty-two of your cops get hurt when you've deprived them of the means to fight back. Those officers were under constant threat of death or great bodily harm and every law in every state gives every citizen the right to respond to deadly force with deadly force. Cops are citizens.

Anyway, this post was not about all of that. The mayor has been criticized and she has established a curfew for a week and has stated that setting the curfew was a "delicate" matter for her; she didn't want to "incite" people. That made me wince. Really? Setting a curfew was a delicate matter for you? I don't think it would have been for Mom. If that young man lived, I'm pretty sure he's gonna be under a curfew for the rest of his goddamn life. Mom for mayor. Watch, now she'll get arrested for child abuse. I'll elect you from your jail cell, Mom! Heh-heh-heh-heh.