Thursday, December 01, 2016

A couple of years ago I had a case against a particular prosecutor and we were in court arguing something. On that occasion the prosecutor was making scurrilous allegations to the judge against the reputation of my client for peacefulness in the community and was walking back and forth for emphasis. I was taking great umbrage and was preparing a decisive reply when of a sudden she pitched headlong to the floor in front of me. It was frightening. "Oh my God, are you okay?!" as I went to help her up. She was. She had caught a pointed heel of her shoe on the carpet.

Today I was in a different court on a different case when she walked in--on a different case also. The courtroom was crowded, the judge was calling cases, the prosecutor was in thought preparing more spoken outrages against other wrongfully-accused and I rose from my chair unnoticed and walked, gravity with every step, over to where she was standing and said sotto voce "I tell everyone now Julie Menard fell for me in court one day" and then walked away.


"You wouldn't be lying either!" she called after me, not quite sotto voce.

"QUIET please! Mr. Harris. Miss Menard."