Sunday, September 26, 2021

Social Democrats Narrowly Oust Christian Democrats in Germany

Angela Merkel's party has lost (she was not a candidate after 16 years). The winning S.D.P. only got 25.7% of the vote so it's Coalition Time in Kraut. According to the American quasi-official New York Times,

...in the complex equation that can be required in Germany to form a government, it is possible that if the winning party fails to get others on board, the party that placed second could wind up leading the country.

It could take weeks if not months of haggling to form a coalition,

I don't know if Germany like patterned their system after Israel's, I think not, and surely hope not, as Israel needs four elections to decide every one. Most goddamned unwieldy system, I can't see why it's so magnetic. 

I may be totally wrong but "Social' sounds more left-handed than "Christian". I like "Social" more than Christian anything but I have no idea if Christians hate Germany the way Christians hate America.