Friday, December 24, 2021

8:09 a.m.-8:53 a.m.

Virtually every one of us dies near-anonymously, our funerals attended by few, our passing noticed by just as many. Even our existence is quickly forgotten, if it is remembered at all. As we get older some of us realize the obscurity we have lived our lives in and the anonymity that awaits us.

Nearly all of us though were once the most cherished being that ever existed to another. But few of us are told of this in the autumn of life. And yet it was that at sixty-six years of age, for forty-four minutes, I was given this greatest gift—being told that once I was the chosen, that I am still thought of, even dreamt of, and still beloved--by the most important person from the spring of my life. Christmas came early.

“I know I told you how much you meant to me, but I thought to tell you again on the phone because I don’t think I could do it in person, I’d break down. …

“When I first looked at you in the crib, I was not prepared. I loved you so much. I also felt protective of you. I felt like I was your dad. …I wanted to be around you all the time.

“I don’t want to burden you with all this. …

“One time when you were in the crib you and I looked at each other. Our eyes locked. And after a little while you made a noise. You were trying to communicate. It was intense!

“I have that crib in my room. I touch it every day.”