Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Some people believe what I believe about Manchin:





It's hard for me to believe that Manchin would admit that on radio. I was not able to source it on Tara Golshan's page bc I ain't got a twitter account. I am suspicious of that tweet. 


You'll recall that Speaker Pelosi, after promising progressives that the Infrastructure bill and BBB would not be separated, then promised so-called moderates the bills would be separated and stuck with the latter. Some Dems in the House voted against BIF for that, knowing that this was going to be the result. They were castigated by mods and media.
This series of tweets are the most ominous to me. AOC urges Biden to use his executive power to get a lot of BBB passed.  Remember the trillion dollar coin? They went woolly in the knees on that. The president has been betrayed by Manchin in the legislative process. Why can't he sign into law all the parts of BBB with a series of executive orders that require no legislative approval? I'm sincerely asking for somebody to tell me why a president can't do that. "The president proposes, Congress disposes." "Congress has the power of the purse strings.” Okay fine, sign the executive orders and let them file suit against the executive branch on the grounds that a president has no such power. If we don’t are we supposed to just take this?! I say no.
AOC also urges the president to break the filibuster so that oh-by-the-way voting rights legislation can pass. This is so ominous to me because I think Biden himself is going to betray progressives on both executive orders and the filibuster. 
I never understood why the president didn't pass (or try to) voting rights first. Congresswoman, with all respect ma’am, and all concern for the quality of life of your constituents, compared to that--"that" being the future of D.I.A.--I don't give two shits about bridges and roads and child support and the social safety net in your district, Manchin’s state, or anywhere else. Biden didn't go for voting rights protection, put it on the backburner, for bridges and roads, and has been wishy-washy on breaking the filibuster. Manchin came out four-square against filibuster reform. With the president not fighting for it, how in the name of heaven do you think voting rights protection is going to pass? Could Biden sign an executive order eliminating R’s voting restrictions? Tell me why not. Does he have a pen in the Oval Office? Yes. Does he have a sheet of paper? THEN FUCKING SIGN AN EXECUTIVE ORDER INVALIDATING R’s VOTING RESTRICTIONS! What do we have to lose except our democracy. Congresswoman, fellow peogressives, you are being ROLLED AGAIN. The president has not signed such a voting rights executive order up to this point and has shelved the issue in favor of bridges and roads. He is NOT going to sign such an executive order. To hit this nail squarely on the head, JOE BIDEN IS NOT COMMITTED TO PROTECTING VOTING RIGHTS.