Thursday, June 07, 2012

“China, if you give my computer the clap…somehow I will kick your ass.”


Well that was pretty silly of me wasn’t it?  Yes it was.  How am I going to kick China’s ass?  I can’t.

No, I, Benjamin Harris, cannot kick China’s ass.  Or can I?

I was among thousands, probably millions, who received the warning from Google that Google believed “state-sponsored attackers” may have targeted my account or computer. Google urged defensive action and I took it.

Why not offensive action?  That was my instant reaction. Why doesn’t Google take offensive action? They pulled out of China because of government attacks on their system.  Doesn’t Google have the know-how to wreak chaos on China’s system?  You can’t tell me they don’t. Google can do anything.  Except translations.

No, Google could do it if they wanted to. They don’t want to be evil so they want to play defense.

What about the millions who received Google’s warnings. I don’t know how Facebook works much less how to wreak havoc on China’s computer system.  There’s an even chance I could learn though if somebody wanted to teach me.  Less than even chance.  Maybe I could never learn how to wreak havoc but I bet I could learn enough to make a little mischief. Somebody want to teach me that little bit?

Among the millions who received Google’s warnings, some have to know how to at least get started on wreaking havoc on China’s computer system. Why don’t they do it?  I read one reaction of a guy who received one of the warnings. “Thanks China,” he wrote. Maybe the millions don’t want to wreak havoc.

Doesn’t anybody? 

Why don’t the Chinese people wreak havoc?  The images at top was accompanied the “Explosive Benjamin” translation.  This is what happens in China when the government wants to take your home. If you’re the one imitating tumbleweed the odds of resistance don’t look very good: you’re one person, you’re unarmed, the People’s Liberation House Evictors are many people, they have protective equipment and weapons.

There are 500 protests a day in China, all of them as one-sided, most of them end the same way as this one did. Chinese, all people everywhere who want to resist the aggression of the Chinese government, have to make these confrontations less one-sided.

However many people there are in China who want to wreak havoc, if they decided individually to do it, they could wreak havoc or at least make mischief.  However many there are that got that warning from Google, if we decided individually to do it we could wreak havoc or make mischief.   “A thousand points of light” has an analog in “a thousand blows” but contagion like that is not going to happen.

A sole candle still illuminates and a single punch still hurts.