Saturday, June 14, 2014

Were you a mo!

No, he wasn't. Then why do you pose like that, with your left leg turned in, like a flirty girl, like you're about to lift your dress?  Martha Gellhorn had prettier legs than Hemingway did, I'd rather she lift her dress. Personally. She might be the tougher looking of the two of them here, in 1940, with her ankles crossed and her cigarette. Hemingway's face is serious there but, personally, I'd be more afraid of crossing Gellhorn with that look on her face. But more than anything it's Hemingway's "well-turned leg."
There it is again. Similar to the 1928 photo with his dad. Was it always the left leg?


I have read that all of Hemingway's statements were against homosexuality. What I have read about The Garden of Eden is that Hemingway explores sexual role reversal, sexual transference it's called.

I could believe Hemingway could play the female and to have a woman who looked like Matha Gellhorn play the male.

Hemingway was always
a courageous writer. If he did explore these themes in Eden, then, as I think E.L. Doctorow said in a review, he was more courageous than anyone thought.