Tuesday, May 29, 2018

David Hogg the 18 year-old Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting survivor who started the #NeverAgain movement organized a "die-in" at a Publix supermarket in Coral Springs, Florida.



Photographs of the die in were posted on the Coral Springs/Parkland Facebook page.

Per the Sun-Sentinel "Posts started coming in attacking Hogg." Here is one of the posts attacking the students who participated in the die in:

Brian Valenti is a Coconut Creek Police Officer of 23 years.

Officer Valenti quickly took the post down but not until a woman took a screenshot of it and sent it to the Coconut Creek police chief, Butch Arenal. Chief Arenal responded to the email that Valenti's post was, 

“unprofessional and inappropriate. The officer admitted that it was in poor taste, and indicated that it was meant as a joke, but certainly didn’t come off that way. It is for that reason that he thought it better to remove the post. He will be offering an apology, as he has indicated that he wants to do whatever he has to do to make it right. I want to personally apologize to you, since you not only had to see it, but you then had to take time out of your day to write to me. I am directly accountable for the actions of all of the employees who work for me, and this unfortunate decision by one of those employees has been disappointing and embarrassing.”

Here is some reaction to the incident from the Sun-Sentinel:

Michael Rajner, a human rights activist from Wilton Manors lending support to the #NeverAgain movement, said Hogg has suggested the officer post a video apology on Twitter.

Rajner said he himself was outraged by the Facebook post. Yet he said he still believes in what he called teachable moments.
...
“After careful consideration of the adverse impact Officer Valenti’s Facebook post may have had on any of the individuals involved, his deep regret for making the comment, and the damage inflicted upon the Coconut Creek Police Department’s reputation, I have decided to suspend Officer Valenti for a period of five days without pay.” 
-Coconut Creek police chief Butch Arenal, today.

Here are my own reactions: 

Only in America 2.0 could this happen. It takes a country birthed in insanity and reared in hate to spawn such as Brian Valenti and others, Laura Ingraham, who attack David Hogg. Such as NRA supporters. Such as Trump supporters. And I detest them every one, even in my own family, particularly in my own family.

I am jaded about apologies. There was an apologia culture in the former United States of America, it is less present in Donald Trump's America 2.0, it is based in Christianity, is present in the American criminal justice system, and encourages confession, apology and remorse as essential steps toward forgiveness and redemption. Thus: "I am truly boo hoo-hoo sincerely sorry that I raped and murdered boo hoo-hoo your loved one. I throw myself on your mercy, and the Lord's." Thus, the apology does more good for the sinner-criminal-rapist/murderer than it does for those, like David Hogg, who are attacked. The apologia culture encourages, even requires, forgiveness by victims, heaping an additional demand upon those who have been insulted, threatened, assaulted, violated, because it is their ticket to heaven too. "God loved mankind so much that he gave his only son." God forgave us for torturing and murdering his child. You should forgive me for torturing and murdering yours. Well, fuck all of that. There are many, many things that we say and do that we should never be able to apologize for. It is insulting! Or would be insulting in a country not birthed in insanity, taught according to Christianity, and reared in hate. You cannot undo the hurt, you cannot go back in time. I am jaded about the whole apologia culture. 

Then, there are other things we say and do that unintentionally cause pain or harm that are not "covered" by the apology, unintentional acts that cause harm. The apology requires intent: intent to do the original harm, recognition after the fact that you could have not done the harm, acknowledgment of harm-doing through confession and, "I'm sorry boo hoo-hoo." So, why should we apologize for unintended harm? What does that even mean? We don't expect a rabid dog who bites us to howl in remorse after the fact. We don't ask an insane person to apologize for rape and murder that he has no idea he did. It is not logical. Thus, I agree with Kate Simonson, who sent Valenti's post to Chief Arenal that a "meaningless apology" ain't gonna cut it for Valenti...What about a meaningful apology? For over three decades I have been exposed to cop humor and I recognize Valenti's post as cop humor. It unintentionally caused pain. If I accidentally step on your bare foot I will apologize immediately and profusely. It is not logical that I do so but with pain as opposed to (I am making this up as I go along) harm, sincere remorse does make things better, it eases the pain. In this instance I agree with he who was pained, David Hogg, (via Michael Rajner) that an apology on social media will ease the pain. I also agree with Arenal that in addition to apologizing Valenti should be punished. But why?...Should you be punished for stepping on a lady's foot?...No. An apology is enough for accidentally stepping on someone's foot. Then why?...To attempt to correct the unintentional pain cause by intentional act. Thus: If I drive drunk and kill your loved one, I can still apologize, it is still not logical, does not undo the harm but is "less meaningless" in that instance than if I with premeditation shot and killed him, but I must be punished! In attempt correct the intentional behavior, drinking and driving, that resulted in unintentional harm. This "logic" is more so when pain but not harm is the result. I thus agree with Michael Rajner that sensitivity training for Valenti, and all cop humor prone cops, is mandated. That, with intent to correct the disturbed thought that produces the disturbed acts of cop humor that when posted on social media results in pain. Finally, I agree--basically, I agree with everybody-- with Arenal that cops should be reminded of the widespread pain that results from "sharing" their disturbed cop humor on social media. No pain, no gain.