Saturday, July 20, 2019

I found it.

For years I had been convinced that there was a more dramatic, heroic Champions League anthem. I associated it with Zinedine Zidane's powerful strike against Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 CL final, which I saw live on TV. I searched for other versions of the anthem, I told my kids about it. I searched "dramatic choral music. All to no avail. Tonight, I searched again: "classical music choral dramatic". I alighted on this site. From 8:54 until just before I started this post I went down the list of recommendations. I listened to parts of Bach's Mass in B Minor, Brahms Requiem, Beethoven's Ninth "Chora," until I realized that was Joy--No, no joy. Click. Mozart's Requiem, Verdi's Requiem--the Dies irae, the Tuba Mirum; Richard Strauss' Zarathustra--I thought that might be it. I was trying music that I would have heard before by composers I had heard before because I had heard this before! I could hum the uber dramatic finale. But Zarathustra did not speak to me. I tried Mahler's Symphony No. 2, Resurrection, Dvorak's No. 9 From the New World, Radetzky's March Opus 228, Gorecki's Amen, Miserere--I was asking for miserere by this time. My neck muscles hurt. I almost gave up.--List's Faust, and then. And then. About half way down the page, this:

Oh yeah...

This also just came to mind. If you like O Fortuna...

O Fortuna? I had never heard of O Fortuna. Bitter nettles. Carl Orff, well, I had heard of him, where I had no fucking idea. Fine! Cut and pasted O Fortuna.

As
     soon
          as
               it
                    started I said out loud to myself, "This is it." And
                                                                                                   it
                                                                                                     was.

Go to about 2:31 for the finale of the Champions League anthem and compare to Orff's O Fortuna--Carmina burana starting at 1:31.

Do you hear? Are those not similar? The tempo, the dramatic voices, and the choral/instrumental flourish at the very end of each. I tell you, it was like finding that one case in the law. It was like finally solving the mystery of "Dad's Note." And on that note, mission--finally--accomplished, I am done. Good night.