Sunday, July 07, 2019

And another beautiful one-two for the Americans on their second goal, the match winner right? Didn’t it end 2-1?

I don’t get it. From what I am seeing some of these women could play with some of those men. The only two limitations I see are height (Is there not one 6'5" WNBA or pro volleyball player who would want to give soccer a whirl?), particularly important in the box for headers (Not one corner in the first half) and in goal, and leg strength (Is there not one Serena Williams in women's soccer?). I have not seen a Cristiano Ronaldo or Zinedine Zidane Boom! strike, although they can shoot a hundred miles over goal a la Riyad Mahrez. But they look every bit the equal of men in speed, quickness, passing accuracy and in the finesse plays—the give-and-go one tap goals.

Now, I know!, I know there is some jackass out there thinking, "Yo, Harris, you've watched one half of one match of women playing women you know-it-all." And that jackass would be correct. That is my exposure to the women's game. That was also the extent of my exposure to Man City matches for fifteen years until last year. And watching like-against-like can be deceiving. I remember Bobby Riggs. But it is arm, not leg, strength that makes the difference between men and women in tennis decisive.

And I do not think WNBA players could play in the NBA. Height is sine qua non in basketball but sine qua no in soccer. Even so, as above, there are plenty of athletic, tall women out there.

The stronger upper bodies of the men would have the women bouncing off them like pin balls when jostling for the ball in soccer. (I did not see one tackle in the America-England match :o but as the jackass points out I only watched one half.) But who would be bouncing off whom if, say, David Silva collided with Serena Williams?

Leg strength is a more daunting obstacle. The ball must get there accurately and with alacrity. However, again, could not Serena Williams with her thunder thighs kick the air out of a soccer ball? There is only one Serena and there are more Ronaldos and Zidanes and Balotellis but we're talking about the 1% of the 1% of women. There is one Serena and surely there are a few others.

Anyway, yes, I am a know-it-all manque. I thought the high press would stymie tiki-taki. And I was right! And I believe with metaphysical certainty that some of the top women soccer players could play with the men in the top leagues fuck you.