Wednesday, January 29, 2020


Mike Krzyzewski had an embarrassing Ok Boomer moment last night. My beloved Pitt "Dribbling Panthers" were in Durham snarling at them "Blue Devils" (#9). Pitt is coached by Krzyzewski's top assistant for years, Jeff Capel (rhymes with "caper"...sort of). Jeff is still beloved at Duke by all. But when Duke's Cameron Crazies started affectionately chanting at Jeff near the end of the first half Krzyzewski went nuts. Snarled at them from across the court, screaming two or three times "Shut up!"  You can see the ref has his hand on Coach K's arm trying to calm him. It didn't work. Krzyzewski then went over to the student section and continued to berate them. Seems Coach K heard wrong. The kids were chanting, "Jeff Capel, come sit with us"; Krzyzewski heard "Jeff Capel shit on us" or something, "shit" for "sit."

The video of the confrontation in the student section is really embarrassing. The kids are gaping silently, mystified at what their omni-beloved Coach K is so angry with them about. It's not a good look, I'll tell you. Krzyzewski is just so imperious with his anger. Duke is these kids' college, the basketball team are students just as the Crazies are. Krzyzewski acted like this was his personal home. I only watched it once and had to look away. Duke won 79-67 but that was not the story in this one.

Post-game Krzyzewski did say the consecutive words "I apologize to the students for that." But that's not all he said. We was still addled:

"I don't know if I made a mistake on that,* but I've never heard another coach's name yelled out in the middle of the first half when we're in a war# with the team. I don't know if they were saying, 'Come sit with me.'**

*No, you did! You made a mistake, not "I don't know if I made a mistake."
#Why did you have to say that? Coach, you were fucking not "in a war" with Pitt. It's a fucking BASKETBALL game, you have never been "in a war" coaching a fucking basketball game, okay? Just stop.
**That is because you are old, sir; you miss-the-fuck heard okay? Get your hearing checked before you embarrass yourself and the university and students you work for.

"We got a different look at what the hell was going on. I thought it was something personal. ... I apologize to the students for that."

But Krzyzewski was still miffed at the timing of the chant,## while noting he'll always defend his former player and assistant. 

##See in context, that's not really an apology. I don't know what he's saying.  He is very confused. Why were you miffed at halftime, that was the timing when you went all Psycho? You were leading 45-34. You won by 12. Why were you still miffed after the game. 

"You shouldn't say that. ... In the middle of the first half and an ACC game, this isn't some cutesy little thing."***

***There he seems to be saying he did understand it was an affectionate cheer for a former Duke player and assistant and doesn't think "in the middle of the first half and an ACC game" (unstated, a "war") it was cutesy to cheer for the opposing "general," the "enemy."

"I'm not going to go say, 'Will you please tell me exactly what you're doing? So it's a mistake on my part, but I'd rather make the mistake and protect my guy. ... Let's think of a different cheer -- like 'Defense!'"

Huh? So, you're just going to shoot first and learn facts later. And it was a mistake but one you'd do again to "protect my guy," Jeff Capel. Coach...let me use your words interlining two that Pat Riley spoke to Danny Ainge, "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

I love Mike Krzyzewski. I love David Cutcliffe, the football coach. I love the Duke chapel. I love everything I know about Duke University and I am truly honored to have a former, still beloved, blue blood, Dookie as Pitt's head basketball coach. But Coach K had no right to act that way. And that's a full stop right there.