Saturday, January 25, 2020

Simpkin of Trumpington and the Knightes Donkey


 "Alain! Welcome," said Simpkin, "by my life,
And John also. Now? What do you do here?"
       "Simpkin," said John, "by God, need makes no peer;
He must himself serve who's no servant, eh?
And therefore am I come here with Alain
To get our meal and carry it home again;
I pray you spare us much as you can and may."

"It shall be done," said Simpkin, "by my faith.
What will you do the while it is in hand?"
       "By God, right by the gate of the House will I stand,"
Said John

Simpkin smiled at this, their simplicity,
And thought: "All this is done but for a wile;
They think there is no man may them beguile;
But, by my skill, I will yet blur their eyes,
With all the tricks in my philosophy.
The more odd tricks and stratagems I make,
The more I'll steal when I begin to take.