Monday, January 27, 2020

Tonight in the Magic City, a basketball game between the Orlando "Magic" and the Miami "Heat." All "Heat" fans and observers will be watching this one closely. I was hoping the "Heat" would be out of town after the Friday Night Massacre by the "Clippers." They need to take a psychological shower to wash that game off them and I thought a change of scenery would help. But, we're back at the scene of the crime.

I was a little surprised Adam Silver didn't cancel yesterday's games. I have not read that the players let it effect their games yesterday but I would also be surprised if it did not a little. The players did pay tribute to Bryant in a powerful way during the games, however. Each team deliberately took a 24-second violation. Bryant wore the number 24 in the latter part of his career. I did not expect tonight's games to be canceled but, as you can see, Kobe Bryant literally hangs over this and the others games. I do not think Bryant's death will be a factor in any of them.

I do think the D.C. game last Wednesday and of course the LAC game Friday are going to be in the players' minds and the "Heat" may be doing a little shoulder-looking tonight: "Yeah, we're up 19 or 7 but... That does not necessarily have to be a negative thing. They should be looking over their shoulders in the third quarter tonight, by damn. But it can also be expressive of doubt: "We're not as good as our record." You have to be vigilant constantly but you must never doubt.

Tonight's opponent is in between Washington and Los Angeles, I guess geographically too but I meant in won-loss record. Orlando has 21 wins. Twenty-six losses. Miami is 31-14 but only 7-6 in the last thirteen.The "Magic" in the last few years have given the "Heat" trouble. They are a decent team this season and given their penchant for putting the black magic on Miami, of course, duh-o-rama, this is the frigging NBA, of course Orlando could win tonight. I do not think Orlando will win tonight, I think the "Heat" will win; I think Erik Spoelstra will have his charges mentally and technically prepared, I think this team, a Miami "Heat" team with Miami "Heat" Culture, has the mental toughness to get over Friday and learn the lessons of both games last week, and I think the team leader, Jimmy Butler, is too strong to let the team be dopey mopes.

But will Jimmy play? Will Kendrick Nunn? We know Justise Winslow will not. We know Udonis Haslam will not. Chris Silva is in frigging Rapid City or wherever our G-League team is. Will Goran Dragic play? The "Heat" is short-manned and hard-capped. If they're to get it done tonight it's gonna get done as an outmanned team. And now, beware of rashness. Beware of rashness, and Get on my lads!