Monday, April 26, 2021

The Undersigned’s Boomer moment (not the first)*#

#It worked :o

4/26, 7:06 p.m.
*Yes, I know that neither the video nor the two audio clips uploaded. Swine Blogger. I try here to upload one of the audio clips only...Nope. Well, the thing has gotten 6.3k likes on Reddit in 24 hours.

4/25 11:57 p.m.
I spent the afternoon with my son watching Rocket League. At the key moment of the deciding game in the series he and I waited all weekend to watch my son secretly a/v’d me. He then posted it with my permission on the RLCS reddit chain and, “it broke Reddit” would be incorrect, “it went viral,” probably an overstatement but, it was so popular that

a) a member of the team we were rooting for who played in the match we were watching responded to my son personally to thank me for my support;

b) another person, a dad, wrote that it was “wholesome” and sweet.

c) people are now making audio clips of “Oh no! Squishy fuck you” (our opponent who came out of nowhere to make a game-deciding save) to make memes, and;

4) there is now what my son describes as a “small movement” to get Squishy to change his official sound meme on his subscription channel to “Oh no! Squishy fuck you.”

First Only the a/v: then the two audio clips reddit readers have made:

No. Alright then. 

A more general note here. Our children are making their own world, as they should. Bitcoin, internet privacy, Rocket League, Tik-Tok, influencer videos, music, they are making their own world. It is a very unfamiliar world to Boomers and we tend to dismiss it. I at least see some similarities between Bitcoin, Rocket League, and influencer videos. I swear to you that I tried like hell to understand Bitcoin, I mean, I made a real effort. I read Satoshi Nakamoto's white paper; I talked extensively to my son who knew as much as any layman did, for he was deeply immersed in cryptos at the time, I researched Bitcoin on my own. The block-chain technology--spare me, do. It does not account for Bitcoin's value or staying power. My son answered as best he could my questions about the "fundamentals" for BTC's valuation and its staying power, saw the merit of my questions, is secure enough and honest enough to acknowledge when he doesn't have answers and is rational to know when his answers don't entirely dispose of the question. It came to me in a question--"What is Bitcoin?"--from the Second Unfortunate Ex-Mrs. Harris that there are no "fundamentals" (sooo Boomerish), that it is whatever its buyers want it to be, a currency of exchange to a few, an investment to the many, that is, that Bitcoin is "organic," it is what the people want for whatever reason; that its store of value lies in the trust of the millions of people who want it. It is not much different than the American dollar. The dollar's fundamental value is the paper it's printed on, but it is backed by the faith that a billion people around the world put in the American financial system. BTC and the dollar and Rocket League are not fads, like the Holland Tulip Craze, the original irrational investment “bubble”, or the pet rock. The tulip craze lasted a year; BTC has been going for twelve years now, Rocket League is in its sixth year. One Bitcoin is now valued at almost $54k--and that is down from it's high of $63.5k. So no Tulip Craze this and astute, experienced Boomer investors like Jim Cramer and tons of others have accumulated crypto portfolios. Enough people have wanted it and enough people have continued to want it that it is not going to burst. That is, again, it's organic.

Rocket League has only been around since 2015 and has a still small audience and pool of players but Rocket League has traditional fundamentals. It is a beautiful game, one demanding breathtaking skill, acute mental focus and agility and lightning-quick reflexes; the action is soo fast-paced and the games so short, 5 minutes, that these young players (and they're very young; if you're in your mid-twenties playing RL, you're a geezer if not a Boomer) are true elite athletes. It is difficult for me, albeit a Boomer, to adjust my vision and focus to the pace and I still miss some, more than my son, a Rocket League geezer, but less than I did at the beginning. My son has said that he too has to get in the right frame of mind to watch or play RL. Just watching is draining for me, but as you can see in the video, I can get super into it. Like with Bitcoin the Big Boys are taking notice. The competition we were watching this weekend was the Lamborghini Open. The Lamborghini car company. College tackle football has been around over 100 years. They still have the likes Poulan Weedeater sponsoring bowl games. There ain’t no Lamborghini Bowl.

One theory of God, not a comforting theory, is that She created the original position and then let humanity and the animal kingdom to make the most of it. It strikes me that Satoshi Nakamoto and Psyonix created the original conditions for Bitcoin and Rocket League and then let those interested have at it. Both created new virtual life forms, borrowing from the creations of earlier generations, BTC from other currencies, RL from traditional sports. They meet the desiderata of their generation. Both creations are sublime, and mysterious, but so too is God, and both creations will be around for as long as people want them to.

This is Public Occurrences and I am Benjamin Harris.