Monday, October 31, 2022

Servant S-1 E-22 (Season One Finis)

I was confused. There was a talking show with Vasya, Yuriy, Mukhin, and a bulbous opposition leader deeply reminiscent of the previous president, corrupt, oafish, Kremlin tool,Viktor Yanukovych.There was a deeply troubling incident. The oligarch henchman, with a gun strapped to his waist, was conferring with Tolya, Vasya's personal bodyguard. "Everything is in order the henchman says to Tolya" and there are shots of Vasya isolated as if isolated in the sights of a rifle. The oligarchs in the luxurious pad say "We should have killed him." The other says something the equivalent of "It will happen tonight." Nothing happens and the episode and the season end. 

Now we go to S-2 E-1, the episode I mistakenly watched 35 mins of and I now feel comfortable revealing what I saw mistakenly. S-2 E-1 opens with a medieval scene where Vasya is knifed by all of his personal ministers and the oligarchs. That opening nightmare scene ends with a medieval Vasya lying in a pool of blood. After the standard intro the most striking, startling scene to me was Vasya and Anna poolside at some estate by a river in Russia I think. As they walk into the villa a scene in Ukraine is playing on TV. Mukhin is announcing that the president is missing, essentially has fled, abdicated, and an emergency governing coalition headed by Mukhin is in charge and has declared martial law. Vasya asks rhetorically what is going on and Anna answers directly, "It's a coup." State security headed by Mikhail, an Armenian national who is in S-2 E-1 in the employ of Russia, is the ring leader of what by all appearances is the kidnapping of Vasya. They drive up to the villa and force Vasya into a car with a black hood over his head. They take him to the execution site where Vasya's body is to be dumped off the cliff. In a foreshadowing of reality Vasya tells Mikhail that his parents will be next and Mikhail replies that they are safe and happy in Bucha, the site of the most reviling Russian atrocities revealed in the Russia-Ukraine war.  At that moment Tolya, aka Torik, drives up in Vasya's truck. Vasya calls to Torik to save him. S-2 E-1 remains as confusing to me now as it did when I first mistakenly watched it. We will go to there tomorrow and I will rewatch now that I have more context. I don't think rewatching will help me out of my confusion, however.