Friday, October 28, 2022

Yep


"It was like just a scene out of a movie. I'll never forget that night. I have pictures on my phone from that night that I'll probably frame up in my house at some point in time and tell my kids, 'This is one of the biggest moments in sports and in the history of the country.'"

--Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell, on the night the NBA shut down because of the COVID-19 pandemic

A trainer in Oklahoma City runs out of the tunnel onto the floor of the arena and tells the referees that one of the players has just tested positive. The refs confer for a few minutes, I think they called New York, and then after about 15 mins, it was a long time, the public address announcer announces that the game has been postponed, he gives a very anodyne reason, may even have added that the crowd was not in danger. And that was fucking that for like three months. It took a long time, still that night but still, for the word to get out that it was because of COVID. The entire country was perplexed. Yep, the night the NBA shut down.