Sunday, July 23, 2023

Continuing our popular series on Israel, there will be a vote tomorrow in the Knesset, Israel's legislature. In AP's description,

In Monday’s vote, legislators are to vote on an overhaul measure that would prevent judges from striking down government decisions on the basis that they are “unreasonable.” 

Now I, Benjamin Harris, do not know bupkus about this other than what the AP reports. As I posted earlier today, the reasonableness standard as used in Israel, again in the AP sentence above, is unreasonable.

The vote tomorrow is on,

...the first major piece of the overhaul...

Since this is a piece and the voting is being done piece-meal I do not see--Israel is in hysterics, an opposition member broke down in tears during the debate today--I do not see that this is cause for hysterics that "You’ve destroyed the country.” 

But I am Benjamin Harris, I am not Israeli, perhaps there is some precedent established piece-meal by this first vote, I don't know!, but as piece-meal works in all other parts of the world I do not understand removing the unreasonable reasonableness standard to mean the destruction of the country.