Friday, May 10, 2013

"Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is Niagara Falls."

At it's closest approach to the base of the Horseshoe Falls the "Maid of the Mist" stops dramatically and as it bobs in the turbulence and the water roars and the spray drenches the narrator of the brief excursion says "Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is Niagara Falls."

It is now 9:30 on a Friday night in Niagara Falls, Canada and Niagara Falls, Canada is dead. At the major intersection in front of the Marriot hotel I just counted five cars in all directions. I've never seen anything like this. I have not seen one person on drugs, not one incident of incipient violence all day. The Tim Horton's restaurant right by the Falls closed at 5 pm. Canadians are a laid-back populace, and there's not much populace in the populace. I feel like I'm on Valium.