Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The United States Supreme Court effectively voided the 1965 Voting Rights Act today. I wish they hadn't done that but my wishes seldom come true. President Obama wishes they hadn't done that too and his wishes lately haven't come true either. He has called this something like "a dark day."* I don't think it's a dark day. As I understand it the Court's action was based on the data used by Congress to oversee voting being out of date. That is, the genus "voting rights acts" was not struck down today, just this one and based just on outdated data. If Congress passes a voting rights act with updated data the Court will not strike it down. I gather though that the "dark day" talk is based on Congress' failure to do just that since 1965. I, sunny dispositioned chap that I am, am confident that if the mostly southern states that were the object of the 1965 act go back to those dark old days through poll taxes, literacy taxes and the like, and this is reflected in 21st century voting data, Congress will pass VRA.2.

*He's "deeply disappointed." I apologize for any inconvenience. I'm "disappointed" (3:01 pm)**
**No, "I wish they hadn't done that." (10:54 pm)