Sunday, February 02, 2014

Boy. Should Nicholas D. Kristof have done this? Let Dylan Farrow use his New York Times blog to publish her letter? All day, until just a few minutes ago, I've been thinking, "Did Woody Allen molest Dylan?" I researched it online a little; there's nothing that helps me, at least, decide. I thought, "If he did, the statute of limitations has probably run," and then the Connecticut prosecutor who investigated it back in 1993 confirmed. I guess it was that that switched topics for me. Since criminal charges are not possible, why did Kristof publish Dylan's letter? I'm thinking this through as I write. What bothers me about this? That something can't be done. Since something can't be done, why publish it? If Dylan wanted to tell her story, she could have gone to blogspot.com, created a blog and published it herself. Why did Kristof do that? I have read that this was Kristof's personal blog. It's not his NYT column but the link I clicked on when I first read the story took me to the Times website. Kristof permitted Dylan to use his and the Times' imprimatur to make this letter public. That bothers me...Why? I guess because nothing can be done and it just looks like a shot. I thought earlier, "Where does this go from here?" A civil suit by Dylan? Since the statute has run on a criminal prosecution it has certainly run on a civil action. I thought, "What does Woody Allen do?" This is a shot. What does he do? The only way I can think he can effectively respond is to sue himself, for libel. The statute of limitations dates from the incident, in a libel action the incident date would be yesterday. Is Allen going to do that? He could not win. He would have to prove the allegation was made by Dylan with knowledge that it was false. He can't prove that. Dylan clearly believes it is true, i.e. she believes herself. There is nothing Woody Allen can do. I guess that is what bothers me. An allegation of a horrible crime has been made and the alleged victim can't get justice, and the alleged perpetrator can't defend himself. What about Dylan calling out the actors and actresses who've worked with Allen? What the hell are they supposed to do? I'm not even clear on what Dylan is calling them out over, but it's bad! It's just a shot. I don't think Kristof should have published it.