Thursday, February 20, 2014

Got me.

A few posts ago I wrote that sometimes a reader will click on an old post that I don't recognize and when I read it myself I don't like it. Last night someone read a "Democracy in Arabia" post I wrote back in 2011, I think it was.* I read it, too. And I winced.

I have been really hard on Thomas L. Friedman and on the New York Times generally since June of last year (Not that they have noticed). I have written that 2013 was the worst year of my life: I lost faith in the Times, Friedman (Truth: I have been on his case since 2002), President Obama and my country. I lost faith because of "U.S. interests," the primacy given to them over the interests of other people, over morality, legality, decency...I get upset recalling this and writing about it now.

All right. Anyway, the "Democracy in Arabia" post could have been written by Friedman, or Susan Rice, or by Obama, who indeed issued a similar statement in the joint communique with Francois Hollande recently. This post is not to express regret for being hard on them, it is to be equally harsh on myself for that 2011 post. I voluntarily submit to a struggle session.

* Feb. 25, 2011: http://publicoccurrenc.blogspot.com/2011/02/democracy-in-arabia_6669.html?m=1 (Added 8:52 pm).