Sunday, February 09, 2014



Yo, check it out! Man, I'm excited to get that book. The soul of America is the pursuit of happiness and this book seems to treat it seriously, a rare thing! Can't wait to get this book. Dr. Mo told me one time that when he first came to America he and his wife lived in New York City briefly and in a Spanish-speaking apartment building. I remember Weimin writing to be, "Ben, the first thing we noticed that was different from China was the laughter. The Latin people were always laughing and playing music." I smiled to myself when I read that. Sure sounded like Americans of Latin descent to me! For those confused about the exact title of this book it's American Fun: Four Centuries of Joyous Revolt. The review I read quotes Tocqueville as saying Americans (in the 1830's) were not funny: "People who spend every day in the week making money, and the Sunday in going to Church, have nothing to invite the Muse of Comedy."