Sunday, April 27, 2014

Stella Elizabeth Williamson.

That's amazing. That little corner hasn't changed much. I guess that's pretty common in old, rural towns. Carmen helped me find the current photograph, from a real estate site. Carmen can do anything. When we first looked it up on Google Earth we got a distorted, distended street view that both of us thought showed a vacant lot. That wouldn't have been surprising, I would have understood if the burghers of Gallitzin, Pennsylvania had just decided to raze that damn house. Baaad karma in that house, Hooo-doggie.

I would love to see that house today, go through it, go up to the attic. But I could never live there. That would creep me the heck out, man. Do you think the people who live there know? I read one time that sellers have to tell buyers about an infamous history to a house but I'm sure there's a "statute of limitations" on that: Five years...Eh, I'd think longer, maybe ten. I can't imagine it's forever. Now it has been almost 34 years. Would still piss me off if I bought it and then found out. If I had lived in that house in blissful ignorance for, say, ten years and then found out...I don't know, I still think I'd move. Would definitely not be happy. Would definitely be listening for strange noises at night.

That's an olddd house, too. At least 1923, the earliest date on the newspapers used to wrap the babies. Williamson grew up in that house, she was born in 1904; her mother lived in that house, she died in 1942, if memory serves. That house is close to 100 years old at least. Really: time to demolish and start over; put a nice split-level or something there. C'mon Gallitzin, not the same goddamned house! Maybe it's fun on Halloween or something. Real haunted house. C'mon people, that is just creepy.

How could the mother not know? The neighbors? Five live births. One lived up to nine months! How in HELL do you conceal five babies from your mother living in the same house! "Stella, the baby's crying!...Oh no, he stopped, never mind, dear."  Williamson was supposed to be obese. Okay, you can conceal a pregnancy. Okay, let's stretch credulity and say that an obese woman can conceal five pregnancies. Okay, fine! How the hell do you conceal five live births! Wtf, W-T-F***! How about old Howard Drass, the proud papa, he knocked that fat girl up FIVE TIMES in ten years and hadn't a clue? Come ON. How about Guy Schrack, the...guy who found the letter, the guy who lived with Williamson for years, years and years. Devoted to her.
Yeah. Was buried next to her fat self in 1991.

Investigators did talk to him...How many times? For how long? Polygraph him? Thorough interview(s)? Hours, right? Days? Not minutes, right? Please. How about his family, associates?

When I told the story to Carmen (lambasting the "investigation") she immediately saw through my
righteous indignation and said "What were they supposed to do, everybody was dead?" and I then
told her that Howard Drass was senile when the "investigators" went to talk to him in 1980, but Carmen then immediately said, "But how could no one know?" EXACTLY, thank you Carmen. Drass' wife? Drass's family, associates? Williamson's neighbors? Friends? Relatives?...Countrymen? Nobody on Earth, God's Green Earth, Google Earth, nobody anywhere knew? Come on, Pennsylvania.