Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Back in the USSR.

These are stills from my favorite YouTube video of the old Soviet national anthem. The lyrics (with the exception of one noteworthy and funny inadvertent omission) are the official 1977 version as sung by the Red Army choir, the video images of course are not official, they are those of the YouTuber.

As I have written previously, this is a beautiful and heroic piece of music. Though heroic the lyrics are not any more martial than those of the "Star Spangled Banner" but the YouTuber's images superimposed on the lyrics and music glorify nothing but the military might of the USSR, which was the only thing there was to glorify!

What struck me about this video immediately and made it my favorite YouTube version is the guy in still five. I will post more on him and explain in a separate post.











"freedom" omitted after "the sunrays of."