Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Google Mis-Translate

Google, do the world a favor and get the heck out of the translation business. You are worse than useless.

I got an email from a friend today with a link to an article. This is how a section of the article appeared in the original Chinese:


《爆日悯人》:“人犬牌”无法撼动肿锅稳定

《爆日悯人》:“人犬牌”无法撼动肿锅稳定。

Google then prompted me "Would you like to translate it?" and I clicked the "Translate" button.  This is the translation I got:


Benjamin "burst": "people dog license" can not shake the stability of the swollen pot

"Explosive Benjamin": "people dog card" can not shake the stability of the swollen pot.


That made no sense.  It couldn't be right. So I emailed my friend back. His response:


"I don't see "Explosive Benjamin" in it. It must be a funny mistake made by Google translation. If you mean the title:
《爆日悯人》:“人犬牌”无法撼动肿锅稳定, I can only translate it as "Have Mercy on the Day of Explosion" : The Police Shields Can Never Change the Instability."

There is NO "Benjamin" there. How could they possibly have gotten "Benjamin" out of that?  I don't know.  Google, you are L-A-M-E, get outta here.
     -Explosive Benjamin.