Saturday, November 23, 2013


So, I'm reading The Kalevala, right? Epic poetry. What's some other epic poetry? Homer, right? Right. Read Homer. Correction: tried to read Homer. Three different frigging translations, I think. Trying to find one I liked. Never did. Know why? "Rosy-fingered dawn." Yeah, like that. "Wine-dark sea." "Swift-footed Achilles."
Drove
  me
    nuts.

Now here in The Kalevala: "The American scholar Milman Parry (1902-1935) revolutionized Homeric studies...His 'formulaic system', which accounts for 'swift-footed Achilles', [etc. and etc.] also accounts for 'steady old Vainamoinen', 'the sky all into windows', 'on the blue high seas', and much else in the Kalevala." :)

Thank you, Milman Parry! Oh, Milman died of a gunshot wound. :o Really. I had nothing to do with it.