Thursday, November 07, 2013

Believing. And Seeing. End.

A picture paints a thousand words.

When Jennifer got back from China she emailed to say she was proposing Hu Jie for an honorary degree from Portland State. Such a generous-spirited thing to do. She asked if I would write a letter recommending Hu, so this past Sunday morning I went to the office to write the letter. In early afternoon I went to my email to send it to her and saw that I had an email from her. She had attached two photographs from her trip.:
Hu Jie at left; Jennifer Ruth; Timothy, translator-Chinese professor to the right.
This is how I had pictured her in my mind's eye. Isn't she pretty?



We may profitably compare and contrast this photograph to another:
Eeeck!

Now, we see here photographs of similar composition. Both depict three people.
Both photographs are taken in relaxed settings....
Both in China! That's another thing they have in common...
Five out of six people Chinese!

The people at top are relaxed; all are smiling. The people at bottom, not so much. Look at Song Binbin. Oh God.

Here's another picture of Jennifer and Hu:

Look at Jennifer. (Well, look at Hu, too.) Now I ask you, is that not the spittin' image of a sweet,
friendly, normal, real American "girl?"  Utterly charming. She's awesome: awesome person, scholar, beautiful writer. So pretty. Oh stop it, for goddsakes, no. Don't be ridiculous. I don't even KNOW her. No, NO! I do NOT have a crush on Jennifer... Yes, I do. :)