Saturday, April 23, 2016

"These misfits...have a taste for blood and death that Mr. McCarthy seems to revel in."

Laying on the bed reading chapter XIII I had the notion to get up and pitch the book down the trash chute. I do not revel in blood and death and I do not want to revel in Mr. McCarthy's revelry in blood and death. I didn't pitch the book down the trash chute. I have not read ahead, not skipped to the ending, I have not read any reviews beyond the point I was in the book. Accidentally, I did see the next sentence in the Times review, something like "Mr. McCarthy's ending disappoints." I do not know what the Times reviewer meant exactly by "disappoints," I take it that the book does not end in "regeneration," another reviewer, Michael Herr's, word on the front of my copy, and if this is all there is, if it's slaughter all the way down, and for the sake of slaughter and if "the ending disappoints" in the manner anticipated I may yet pitch the book down the trash chute without finishing. For in that case what is the point?