Tuesday, April 26, 2016

"All the Pretty Horses" is less risky -- repressed but sane. 

Hmmm.

The main character, a teen-ager named John Grady Cole...

What are you repressing, Cormac?












A linear tale of boyish episodes...the book has a sustained innocence and a lucidity new in McCarthy's work. There is even a budding love story.

Let's get right to the point: Cormac, are you gay?







"You haven't come to the end yet," says McCarthy, when asked about the low body count. "This may be nothing but a snare and a delusion to draw you in, thinking that all will be well."

I see. A sort of schadenfreude, eh Charlie? You get your rocks off shocking readers, drawing them in, "thinking all will be well," and then BOOM! a baby has his skull crushed against a rock. Ohh, that was a good one, Cormac! You got me. Congratulations. 

I picture Cormac McCarthy at work. I picture him sitting there in his study thinking. I picture him pulling wings off flies. 

I picture Heydrich at the Wannsee Conference and I see Heydrich's face












morph into Cormac McCarthy's.