Thursday, June 30, 2016

Today, this week, and this month, "I'm scared of Rongfen..." tops the charts. I deem it not inappropriate to reprint the subject matter of that suddenly popular post:

Dear Chairman Mao Zedong:

I ask you to consider, as a Communist Party member, what are you doing?

I ask you in the name of the Party to consider: What is the significance of all that is happening now? 

I ask you in the name of the Chinese people to consider: Where is it that you are leading China? 

The Cultural Revolution is not a mass movement; it is one person using a gun to move the masses. I earnestly declare: I hereby withdraw my membership from the Chinese Communist Youth Corps.

Sincerely yours,

Wang Rongfen, fourth year student of German at Beijing Foreign Languages Institute

September 24, 1966