Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Italian Earthquake: 159 Dead

The earthquake struck at, from memory, about 2:30 a.m. local time. I saw the first news reports just before going to bed, thought about noting it, but there were no first reports of casualties and, well, if it doesn't bleed it doesn't lede.  It was a 6.2 quake according to the United States Geological Service but other reporting agencies had vastly different numbers, which makes a difference: every point up on the Richter scale is ten times more powerful than the lower number. "Moderately severe?" I think that was ine unhelpful translation of the numbers into language. And then, I am embarrassed to say, this is the first time I checked the news all day. So in embarrassment, and guilt, I note it several lira short and a day late. 159 dead is nothing to ignore yet I did. May God keep our friends the Italians, heal the injured, and give God's grace to endure to the families of the deceased. God bless Italy.