Wednesday, March 15, 2017

MH370

Been over three years, Pilgrim.

MH370 wasn't the first thing that made me question whether we're all that. Whether we "work." The Snowden revelations did that. But those are two different things. Snowden deliberately ripped
the surface reality away to reveal a dark, hidden reality. MH370 demonstrated the incomprehensible reality that similar technological whiz-bang wasn't all that good. Snowden, the power; MH370, the limits of that power. Each in their different ways showed our reality in this age to be surreal.

My first, and my enduring reaction to this day, to MH370 was and is shock, exasperation and realization that we trust our privacy, our security, whether we live and whether we die to a virtual life form that we shouldn't, because it is not good enough to warrant putting those matters in its trust.

The bottom line for me with MH370 which I will carry with me for the rest of my life is best expressed in the simplicity of of the layman's understanding: that a passenger plane just cannot disappear from the face of the earth.

Really. That's the reality. It just cannot happen. And yet it did happen.