Thursday, September 21, 2017

Kim's Speech

I just read it again straight through. It is eloquent.*wince* The first two-thirds/three quarters of it, even through imperfect translation, the eloquence comes through. More: it is moving, and that is a very hard thing to get through when writer and reader have common language, much less in a no-doubt hurried, imperfect translation as here. I am tired! And I have been up since 5:30! Maybe that is addling my judgment. I am confident that world diplomats and leaders, having read both speeches, have a more favorable view of Kim than of Trump, and a relatively more favorable view of the DPRK, which just makes me want to throw up. Kim Jong-un reads, in this one speech, as someone I, were I a head of state, could talk to, could "do business with," in Margaret Thatcher's assessment of Mikhail Gorbachev. Perhaps sign a peace treaty with. Why can't these two racist heads of state talk?