Sunday, November 19, 2017

At the end of this chapter I will recount how Pope Benedict XVI and the Archbishop of Canterbury bowed down before me...

That is how chapter one of Meetings With Remarkable Manuscripts begins.


And damn if there isn't a pitcher of the pope doing just that on the interwebz. Christopher de Hamel holds The Gospels of Saint Augustine for a papal buss.

In the Introduction, the end of a paragraph on the paleographer's task of collating:

I have sometimes thought that if I ever retire I should call my pensioner's cottage 'Duncollatin.'

Think I'm gonna like this book.

...my wife, Mette...has endured the writing for several years and...graciously appears as the subject of several jokes in the text. (This is a trick by me: she will have to read the book to find them.)

HA! I am GONNA like this book.