Sunday, June 28, 2020

Another thing I can't do

Today, on one of my jags that started with a pregnant Kristin Labransdatter I thought of another chick knocked up with child on her wedding day as unmistakably depicted in Van Eyck's spectacular "Arnolfini Wedding;"
put the book down (mistake), googled Arnolfini Wedding (Oh excuse me, "The Arnolfini Portrait"), never get tired of looking at that painting; thought, "That must have been painted around the same time" as the setting for the book (15th c vs 14th c, close enough for government work); thought further, "'Bout the same neck of the woods, too, ain't it?"(Belgium-Sweden/Norway both Northern Europe I'll take it), enlarged the mirror on the wall agayne;
Hmm hmm hmm



If I had stopped there...Thought of how many mirrors there were in paintings after they were invented, it was the new fad, the go-to prop in painting; googled mirrors in paintings; thought of David Hockney's book and the upside-down thing-a-mijg, ah! the camera obscura, googled Secret Knowledge; "lenses," that was Hockney's term, googled camera lenses in art, got some photographs which shouldn't have surprised me but did; looked at a bunch of them. I then made the executive decision to add "nude" to the search term zoom gone. After looking at a half dozen or dozen, or a dozen hundred, I came upon this.

And this (never was scared a no nudity), and went there.

I had to defocus my eyes, I wasn’t seeing it in the thumbnail. Hit enlarge.

                                               Went: “Are you fucking kidding me,”

And, “HOW’D THEY DO THAT?!”

The model’s face reflected in, and perfectly framed by, the camera lens that is taking the photo of the two of them in a mirror opposite and taking the photo of the model’s face in the lens and it’s perfectly centered and framed and...”HOW’D THEY DO THAT?!

There are some talented, creative motherfuckers in the world and I ain’t one of ‘em’s all I know I know that’s right.

So that cost me a couple hours. Swine internet. In reality, no. That was a discovery.