Thursday, July 23, 2020

America’s Daughter

Yahoos who tug on Superwoman’s cape do so at their peril.

"...what I do have issue with is using women, “our wives and daughters,” as shields and excuses for poor behavior. [The Congressman]  mentioned that he has a wife and two daughters. I am two years younger than [his] youngest daughter. I am someone’s daughter too...And I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men. Now, what I am here to say is that this harm that he...tried to levy against me, was not just an incident directed at me. But when you do that to any woman, what [the Congressman] did was give permission to other men to do that to his daughters. In using that language in front of the press, he gave permission to use that language against his wife, his daughters, women in his community, and I am here to stand up to say that is not acceptable."


Ocasio-Cortez accosted by GOP Rep. Yahoo over remarks: 'That kind of confrontation hasn't ever happened to me'

(The Hill) 

Ocasio-Cortez delivers powerful speech after Republican Yahoo’s sexist remarks

(The Guardian)


AOC’s Powerful and Historic Floor Speech

(Bloomberg)




The Associated Press
@AP

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s outrage over a Republican lawmaker berating her on the Capitol steps turned into an extraordinary moment on the House floor as she and other Democrats assailed a sexist culture that accepts violent language against women.