Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Seeking the Soule: The Pursuit of Happiness.

"[If it really was the South Fork Dam that broke (It was.) then] Pittsburghers...will be deprived of their most popular resort." -Jesse H. Lippincott, son of SFFHC member,* to the New York World, June 2, 1889.

"They didn't want to lose their lake. They cared about people."-Virginia Soule, granddaughter of Louis Semple Clark, great-granddaughter of Charles John Clark, SFFHC members, to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 18, 2006.

It is an attitude that spans families and 117 years. Wow. Never met people who thought like that. Honest to God. Never had anybody talk to me like that except Mitt Romney. Never had anybody talk like that around me about other people. Never had people talk down to me, up to me, anything other than straight to me. Honest to God. I haven't been around super-rich people so how would I know? I guess that's right. Palm Beach, the Hamptons, Martha's Vineyard--never been to any of them. Boca Raton, nope. What's out on the Left Coast? Palm Springs? Don't even know. Never been to Palm Springs either. Been to Aspen! That's super-rich. I don't think visiting a resort town counts, though. Now, if I'd lived in Aspen. That'd count. Never lived there. Why am I so surprised? I really am surprised. I'm a little offended too. Pissed. More surprised though. Why? Romney was just in 2012. I guess I just thought he was one out of touch dude. That there were not many of "them." But hell, he got the nomination of the Republican party!  That's a lot of dudes. Dudettes. Mrs. Dudes. Well, I'm still surprised. Maybe because I'm an idiot. Maybe that's what "they" think and maybe "they" think that because I am. I've considered the possibility of idiot-hood before. The likelihood sometimes. I concluded, on the whole, I wasn't. But maybe I was wrong. I know I've been wrong before, Hoo-Doggie. Maybe I was wrong about not being an idiot. Idiots, I would think, are less likely to see their own idiocy. They think they're, on the whole, normal, average, even above average like the people of Lake Woebegone. I KNOW I'm not rich. Maybe I don't pursue happiness enough. I've never wanted to be more happy than I was. I'm happy enough. I've never wanted to pursue any more happiness. I don't want to pursue shit at this stage of my life. I'm done with pursuit. I have trouble pursuing a train of thought now. So I'm DONE with pursuit, if I ever did it, which by "these people's" standards I never did anyway.  But don't talk down to me, man, I'll kick your ass. Or get my own ass kicked trying. I bet I could still kick Mitt Romney's ass. Marc Leder. I think I could take them. They'd know they had gotten hit, I know that much, Hoo-Doggie. Don't talk down to anyone AROUND me. I might try to kick your ass then, too. Probably just curse, I'm good at that, or write nasty sarcastic things about you. I do that too. But only when I have to. I'll end with a general FUCK YOUUUU! to all of "them" and say good night.

*That is who how this entry appears in McCullough at 242-3. Jesse H. Lippincott was a member. The problem is he didn't have a gilding named Jesse.