Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sporting News.

First one since my New Year's resolution, I think. This is more sporting business news.

The English Premier League just negotiated a new television deal for £5 billion, or $7.8 billion, for the 2016 through 2019 seasons, a 70% increase from the previous rights fees. And that's just for Britain. The league expects foreign broadcast rights to fetch an additional £3.25/$5 billion. That does not come close to the American National Football League's $7 billion per year but you get concussions thrown in for the bargain with the NFL.

Per club per year it means that where last-place Cardiff got $90 million last season and the CHAMPIONS God's Righteous Angels in Blue got $147 million under the new deal the bottom team will get about $140 million and the champion about $200 million.

The most astonishing statistic I saw on this news item however, and it came from the New York Times, was that...Well, what would you guess? What would you guess is the weekly viewing audience for EPL matches worldwide?...see next post.

Speaking of the Angels :(  T'AIN'T gonna be champeens this year. The last time I wrote on this I believe City was level on points with Swine Chelsea, their official name, not many people know that so I thought I would bring enlightenment and so I have, tied, I say. Now however :( :(  SCFC are seven pernts clear at the top, 25 having been played, only thirteen left, so yeah, City will not repeat.