Sunday, February 22, 2015

This morning my Angel Child daughter texted her daddy that she was at a cafe having breakfast with friends and "Heaven is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle was playing. She knows how much I like that MTV video. I'm told I wouldn't recognize Ms. Carlise if I saw a picture of her today; years of drinking and drugs will age an adorable, slightly chubby girl. So I have never googled her. I want to remember Belinda as she was then, beautiful and sexy and flirtatious, in love with her husband, and with more energy than an atomic bomb. I want to remember her passionate, throaty emphasis on a couple of the stanzas.

"Heaven" led me to think of other youthful, fun, optimistic songs like "I Will Wait" by the British band Mumford and Sons. I like "I Will Wait" a lot, I like its tempo, its energy, the instrumentation, its singability, and because the boys in the band on the video are obviously enjoying themselves and Marcus Mumford can be heard, and seen, to laugh over the music. Happy guy at that time, happy guys during that whole performance.

I'm not going to "pursue" happiness or success or a woman, that's too aggressive for me. I'm not going to be like Sting or Marc Leder or the Gilders but happiness is contagious and I'm alert to it in the world and when I "stumble upon" happiness it is worth, to me, capturing it and noting it. And so I did.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0k

"I Will Wait" reminded me of certain other British songs, one hit wonders, "Come on Eileen" was one by Dexys Midnight Runners another "up" song, charming in its lower midddle class film location, similar instrumentation, similar tempo changes, very singable. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZ-nwWW9aQ

And of "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)"  by the The Proclaimers. There's a little too much intensity there for me, too much of Sting's "Every Breath You Take" but high energy, great tempo and singability. It's a passionate song.

Finally, "I'm Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. In the 1980's I had came home from work, I recall, perhaps incorrectly, that it was a dismal February day; I plopped myself down on the sofa, lit my pipe and turned on MTV and I watched this girl, Katrina, sing this song with so much happiness and joy, so much energy that she was shaking her soul out of her body, and I took note. You couldn't help smile and be mesmerized by her energy and I sat up on my couch since I couldn't take that song lying down and I said to my then wife, "THAT is going to be a one-hit wonder." And it was. If it had been launched in the summer it would have dropped like a stone. But in dismal February it put a spring in your step and energized you, neither of which happens in February. It absolutely WORKED and struck a chord. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

All British bands, except Belinda Carlisle. Mumps is, I believe Scottish. They are all passionate musicians and singable songs. I appreciate them.