Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Stupid Art.

Scots have a reputation for being a bit "near" with money, no? So when "Creative Scotland" awarded £15,000 ($22,050) to an artist to live in Glasgow for a year, thus birthing the artwork "The Glasgow Effect," well you can imagine.

You don't have to imagine. Take it from a native Glaswegian and the "funniest woman in Scotland," Janey Godley:

"My nephew Rob is here. If he stood up and pulled a jumper over his head and said it was art, how could I tell him it's not? But I tell you what I won't be doing: giving him 15,000 to keep it up!"

"Glaswegians are the first people to take the mick out of themselves. We're the first people who say, 'Look at us. We're crazy. We're mad.'"

"She's [artist Ellie Harrison] taking 15,000 to live within the city limits, like it's some kind of avant-garde Hunger Games."


"I'll give you 10,000 if you can keep her in your city."