Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Go Back to Sleep


I believe that the following is a true statement:

Women as a political force in America had more power in the Progressive Era than at any other time.

Progressive era activists, women in the forefront, were responsible for the passage of four amendments to the United States Constitution: the 16th, making an income tax constitutional, the 17th, providing for direct election of United States Senators, the 18th, in which women were particularly influential, prohibited alcohol sales,


and the 19th, guaranting women voting rights. One more indirectly: the 21st, repealing the 18th just thirteen years later.

Personally I quibble with the 17th, the 18th is widely regarded as an utter failure and is particularly painful for this writer, and the 21st I regard as Savior of the Great Republic.

On the whole I am, pun of course intended, constitutionally ill-suited to FUCKING with the United States Constitution and therefore consider the Progressive Era a distasteful and dangerous time.

And ladies? It gives me infinitely more pleasure for my lips, mouth, throat, stomach, and liver to touch and lovingly caress liquor than I can ever imagine would come from touching your lips. Yours would be quite safe from moi.