Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Seeking the Soul

                                                                


I think that one day you will publish your book on China’s Great Wall of Silence and the book will be a great one.

...

Dear Ben, 
I just read some of your exchanges with Ye Weili on Public Occurrences, you do amazing work.

The above are from two eminent scholars, the first from one who I have long corresponded with, the second who just completed a major book I had read and to whom I had sent my congratulations and appreciation.  That was the extent of our contact until yesterday.

None of us, even those of us who are Crabby Hermits by our nature, enjoy work (and work it is) that by its nature, must be done alone and obscured from the outside, especially work so dark and serious. We do it because we think the subject important and because we think we must try. That provides satisfaction and we Crabby Hermits are content. A compliment to one's work though produces more than satisfaction, it produces happiness, and there is little of that when one is shrouded in blackness. And so my thanks to the two scholars who extended me these kindnesses.