Tuesday, August 20, 2013

For a month now there has been a modest but noticeable increase in readership from China. China is third in pageviews over the last 30 days while in the last five years it is fourth. China overtook Germany this month to become fourth "all-time." Kdnet is one of the sites contributing and Mr. Zhang Mu's book, serialized (poorly) here has been the recipient of many of these pageviews, for which I am happy for Mr. Mu. The "evergreens," the posts on Songie and Liu Shaoqi, always have done relatively well. It has been a long time since I've written at all on China, especially on Educated and Gentle. The last time, a year ago?, curiosity got the best of me and I googled her. There was that article on the Seven(?) "royal" families of China of which the Song family was one. I wrote about that but it upset me to revisit the subject. Now, I've got too much that I'm existentially upset about with my own country to look for upsets abroad. The Chinese people are a part of my life however; they are writers, they are readers, and vastly more so than the people of any other country, including those in the U.S., Chinese reach out to those, especially foreigners I think, who take an interest to write about their country. I have not gotten any emails from any new communicants in the PRC in I don't know how long, only an occasional light-hearted email from one consistent friend there. To all Chinese who know the name Benjamin Harris, I have not forgotten you, I will never forget you. My interest is abiding, for you are the most interesting people on earth. I care very much. You are a miracle people.