Tuesday, December 10, 2013

UCL: Bayern Munich 2, Manchester City 3.

That little throw-away line on the weekend, "City can't win away from the Etihad?" I was kidding, it was a joke. See?

The lowest moment of City's EPL championship season was the trip to the Allianz Arena in the Champions League.  Wasn't...Yes...Yes, it was. That was the game Carlos Tevez refused to come off the bench. Now I remember. City got crushed. Then this year, at the Etihad Stadium, the rematch! Revenge! No. Joe Hart should have stayed on the bench, he could have done as well from there to stop Franck Ribery's shot. Crushed again. Today...a return to Munich. Sans the first team (The Arse this weekend): Aguero, Pantilimon (Hart's replacement), Kompany, Nasri, Negredo, Toure. I mean my frigging God.

Boom. Muller in the 5th minute.
Boom, Boom. Gotze in the 12th.

Can we frigging call this thing now?

Then...Inconceivably:
David Silva in the 28th minute.
Alexsandar Kolarov on a penalty kick in the 59th.
And James Milner, James Milner! in the 62nd minute.

My daughter (Kun Aguero's future wife) first texted me and my son shortly thereafter. City hung on. Here are the texts between the three of us:

Daughter: CITY IS UP OMG WTF HOW
Me: You're frigging kidding me! I'll follow it on my phone. Kesus Chrost. (Sic: "Jesus Christ." Wasn't typing too good at that particular juncture in the rent fabric of space-time.)
Son: Lol ok I'm gonna check twitter thanks sis!
D: 
D, cont.: My heart is actually beating.
Me: Is it over!
Son: We put up 3 against Bayern??!? Wow
D: If we get another point and win 4-2 we driggin like win the group
D, responding to Son: YES OMG but it's not over
Me: I see it now 79th min. We were down 2-0!!!
Son: Holy crap, down 2 and then 3 unanswered, insane!
Son: 90 minute game sis and we're at the 80th mins so only 10+ minutes left!
Me: Go clock!
D: Holy moley.
Me: This would be such an upset and down 2-0! In Munich!!
D: I'm about to cry.
Son: We can do this!
D: I actually might start crying.
Me: Wait till we win! Remember QPR, ain't over till over!
D: My heart is beating so fast and my hands are shaking. I think I'm going into cardiac arrest.
Me: RUBBY!!! (My nickname for her, short for cherub.)
Son: Exactly, remember QPR. Not over till it's over, we can almost taste victory!

D: I'm not VEN lying like I can't type
Me: 85th minute!!!
D: Holy
D, cont.: I can't
Son: Probably 4 mins of stoppage time so let's say 9 full mins left
D: I'm so happy right now.
Me, responding to son: Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Me: 87th minute.
Son: Stay alert this is a good team that can play under pressure lets not celebrate until that whistle blows!!
Son: Shit I'm about to cry now lol
D: I literally have tears welling up
D: WE WOULD WIN THE GRIUP DUDES
D: TWITTER ISNT UPDATING
Son: This would be an incredible upset
D: I would kill myself
Son: 87th minute now.
Me: 88th min!
Son: Dad's ahead of us.
D: I can't right now.
Me: 89th
Son: Just 5 mins 5 stinky mins!
Son: Omg omg omg
D: Omg I can't.
Son: 2 mins of stoppage!!!
Son: That's it two more minutes!!!!
D: I can't right now.
Me: 90th min [And at THIS critical juncture in mankind's history, I got a work phone call. Arrrghh.]
Son: Oleee ole ole oleee
Son: That is it the final minute!
Son: WIN
Son: We did it hold shit!!!!
Son: Holy**
Son: I can't believe it we did it!!!
D: IM CRYING
Son: Do you believe in miracles?!?
D: YES
Son: YES YES
Me: FULL TIME! WE WON!!!

Bring on the Arse.