Monday, September 08, 2014

Everything in that last post is true. Including me writing out what the ESPN headline writer wrote about Jeremy Lin. I considered writing C---- but didn't think readers would know what C---- was, it's not like "the N word," I don't think we can even write N-----, maybe that shouldn't be capitalized, n----- anymore so to avoid confusion I wrote...that word but put it in parentheses like this here " " to indicate that that was not my word it was somebody else's that ESPN guy's. Query me this, actually query...another person or your own self: If Danny Ferry had read out loud the word African but had done the spoken equivalent of what I did, had Danny Ferry, when he spoke the word African, put his hands up, just slightly, and wiggled his fingers, would that have been okay?-OR-If Danny Ferry had said quote-unquote after saying African would that have been okay? Danny Ferry cannot have been required to say "the A word" or A------ because African does not have epitath-hood status. OR did I miss a memo.