Monday, September 08, 2014

I don't even know how to title this post. I don't know what this is.

Bruce Levenson's email was discovered as a result of a law firm's search. The email search (for offensive words?) was commissioned by another Atlanta "Hawk" co-owner. The co-owner commissioned the search after General Manager Danny Ferry read out loud at an organizational meeting a scouting report on a player that contained racial language. The report was written by somebody else. Somebody Else didn't work for Atlanta, he worked for another team Another Team. Ferry did not edit out the racial remark when he read aloud the report. The report was on player Luol Deng who I thought might have been Chinese. (I said might!). And so I was thinking maybe like with Jeremy Lin, Somebody Else's report referred to Luol Deng with an epithet like "Chink" and Ferry read that or a similar epithet out loud. (I said I was thinking that, I didn't know!) Without editing it. Somehow. So I was confused when I read:

"He is still a young guy overall. He is a good guy overall. But he is not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way."

?

...I say I was perplexed, I was "thrown off base" when I read that, thinking as I did that Luol Deng might be Chinese. Based on the name. Last name. Which in Chinese would actually be the first name but I didn't think about that! So I googled Luol Deng.

And I must say, although genetically all of us "have some African" in our own selves on account of that's where, like, humanity began, I say, I have to concede that Luol Deng does not look Chinese. Or Asian. Luol Deng looks like he has LOTS of African in him. Which is fine! We all don't have to be Chinese not that there is anything wrong with that!

I am getting a negative impression of the intelligence level of basketball people from all this, from Donald Sterling to Bruce Levenson to the author of the scouting report. Hell, throw in Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban. I mean, what does this mean?

"He is still a young guy overall. He is a good guy overall. But he is not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way."

Somebody Else should explain it.