Monday, September 08, 2014

The Atlanta "Hawks" Redskin Problem.

As I began reading Bruce Levenson's email my first thought was, "This man doesn't know his business." Fans showing up late is because of Black people? "Has he ever been to a game in Miami?" I thought. I have, many times, it drove me nuts, too. And they left early.  The people who attended Miami games back then, 15 years ago or so, and who showed up late and left early, were overwhelmingly White.

Then I read Levenson write that when he has looked at Atlanta's crowds they were 70% Black, "Well, Atlanta is known as a Black city," I thought, "But 70%? Really? That doesn't sound right." "What if it was? And what if that 70% did not come close to filling up the arena? Doesn't a businessman have the right to cater to a larger market? No, actually. Under the law race (or color, creed, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation) cannot be used in making business decisions involving, like, people. Can't hire or fire based on them, cannot say "I don't want Black people because they are bad for White business." That was what the lunch counter sit-ins of the Civil Rights movement were about. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and his front office would have mentioned this detail to Levenson.

I was still curious if Levenson knew his business, if he was correct about the racial composition of Atlanta "Hawks" crowds. I read that Atlanta is 54% black. "70% black crowds! No, that can't be right." So I googled it, image at top. The man does not know his business. I would bet Adam Silver and staff also would have suggested Levenson get his eyes checked.